Monday, August 27, 2012

Hot and Quick Energy Breakfast!

I love Doug Kaufman's online program, Know the Cause, and one of the reasons is because of his food segment, Dining With Denni.  This is where I found this great recipe.  Serve these quinoa pancakes with your favorite green smoothie and you have a meal that will keep you going for most of the day!  It's a great breakfast for kids who may not eat a good lunch at school.

Quinoa Pancakes

(Cook a pot of quinoa a day or two before and store in refrigerator.  [It is best to soak all seeds 8-12 hours in a covered glass container, drain and rinse before cooking.  Soaking removes an enzyme inhibitor.]  Cook as per directions on the package.)

Mix together:
1/2 cup cooked whole quinoa (I like 1/4 c. red organic quinoa and 1/4 c. regular quinoa better)
1 egg
1 egg white

Pour batter on griddle, cover with a lid and cook on med-high for one minute.  Flip.  Cook for a few more seconds and serve hot!

Now, as usual, I have tweaked this recipe.  I like a little salt, so you can either cook the quinoa in some salt or you can add some to the pancake mix just before cooking.

Also, I like it sweeter because I don't use syrups or other sweetened toppings.  I just sprinkle some powdered stevia extract in the pancake mix before cooking.

One more thing:  If you don't know what to do with extra egg yolks, just use two whole eggs.  It just depends on how "egg-y" you want the pancakes to taste.

The best part is when I spread some ghee (also known as clarified butter--see previous blog post The Big Fat Lie) and some raw cashew nut butter that I have blended in my food processor.  (Oh no, I just realized I haven't given you the recipe for nut butter.)  So here you go:

Raw Cashew Nut Butter

In a food processor using the regular blade, blend until smooth (3-4 minutes):
3 cups raw whole cashews
1 tablespoon almond oil

Here's to a healthy new school year!  Enjoy!

No comments: