Thursday, August 22, 2013
Trust in Tandem
A few years ago, we bought a tandem bicycle. Ben has always been fond of cycling so I figured I could support him in this. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I soon learned that sitting on the back seat staring at Ben's broad shoulders was going to cause major anxiety attacks. With no view of the landscape or traffic ahead, I imagined myself in mortal danger behind a madman at the wheel who expected me to provide some additional momentum and just enjoy the ride! Not likely.
Whilst holding on to stationary handle bars with no brakes and with pedals that insisted I rotate my feet at their speed, I quickly discovered that I had absolutely no control whatsoever! Me? With ingrained tendencies toward control-freakness and oldest-child-syndrome? No control?
In sheer panic, I attempted to have some say by leaning from side to side as I felt inclined. My small frame failing to have much effect, I then began verbally insisting that Ben warn me about things such as sudden changes in the terrain, when he wanted to turn or when he decided to change gears, but no. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely! He kept saying, You just have to trust me. I wouldn't do anything to put us in danger. Methinks: Oh yeah, like the time we got the car stuck in the river in Provo Canyon?
After a few months of practice, Ben began to have some compassion on my nerves and I came to understand his body signals and realized that he was actually a fairly competent driver. I relaxed and began to experience some exhilarating rides with the wind in my hair and my feet in the air!
So last month, we put our finely-honed skills to the test. We travelled to Northern Idaho and rode the Hiawatha Trail, a 16-mile bike ride over a remodeled train trestle that had once been used by miners to haul ore out of the mountains.
En route we went through seven cold, barely-lit tunnels, one of which was two miles long! Ben could see the tunnel lights ahead. I was in total darkness! Time to put trust to the test because I couldn't see a thing. I just tried not to make any sudden moves or lose contact with my pedals. As we approached the end of that tunnel, I breathed a sigh of relief and more fully appreciated the idiom, the light at the end of the tunnel!
Again in the light, we sailed past other bikers, enjoying their envious looks and friendly comments and finished our ride flying high!
New axiom: Trust liberates and absolute trust liberates absolutely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love this post--great writing, and great photos!
What a beautiful ride!! I loved this post!
Post a Comment