Saturday, November 10, 2012

THE CRACK IN THE MIRROR

For almost thirty years I have lived with a crack in my bathroom vanity mirror.  It's low, doesn't distort the image in the glass and doesn't seem to get in the way of my morning routine, but it does remind me daily that there are flaws in virtually everything I do and say.  

I remind myself that anything of true beauty has an element of imperfection.  In every piece of great music or art or indeed, in each of our lives, there is something strategicallly placed to infuse a bit of unpredictability, humor or mystery--a kind of unsettling tension--that when resolved leaves us with a powerful feeling of fulfillment and peace.  We all have a truly unique, God-given kind of flawed beauty, but it is comforting to think that in spite of the flaws in our "mirror," we are still usable. 


In the Book of Mormon, God tells us, "I give unto men weakness that they may be humble," but we shouldn't use that as an excuse for negligence.  In spite of our weakness we still have a work to do!  He promises "I will make weak things become strong...." (Ether 12:27) and that as we come unto Him, He will "consecrate our performance" and it will be sufficient.

(2 Nephi 32:9)  

It is through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that we are enabled, every minute of every day, to receive power from on high (Grace) to overcome our weakness, to rise above our natural inclinations and the conventional wisdom of the world; to be healed, both spiritually and physically, that we may serve.


Yes, I have to admit, that reflection in my glass is broken, but it will serve.

1 comment:

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

Hm...I just learned that if you make a post too small to read, it forces the reader to go directly to the comment section, where she can click "show original post" to read it in a larger font. And then, while she's here, she can leave a comment!

This is an excellent post, even if it is as hard to see as the crack in the mirror. :)