Sunday, May 8, 2011


MAKING PIES

In honor of Mother’s Day, I made a pie (without sugar!).   Pie making is one of the legacies handed down from my mother--and her mother and her mother and...well, depending on how you figure your general dates of creation and your definition of a generation, let’s just say that I am the progeny of approximately 200 pie-making grandmothers.  This is not bragging.   This is genetic!

The other notable legacy from my foremothers is also genetic.   Mothers can’t help it that they are the incarnation of the Scuttle mantra:  "Have I ever been wrong...when it’s important?"   It’s the legacy we all get from our mothers!   I don’t think there is a person who ever lived that hasn’t heard that inner voice admonish: "You should have listened to your mother!"

Just as pie making requires the right mix of ingredients, a deft touch and minimum handling, it may also account for why moms are so irritatingly always right.   In the end it may be really important to know how to make pies.  

Thanks, mom...

1 comment:

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

I haven't had a ton of success in my pie making, which makes me think that it's not just genetics. You definitely deserve bragging rights, Mom!